Further Education Colleges
Further education (FE) colleges provide a range of courses suitable for students of all abilities and interests. Most colleges will also offer specialist entry level supported learning courses that focus on developing basic skills and life skills.
You can find more information on local colleges below:
Bedford College Group
Bedford College Group has a number of campuses in Bedford and at Shuttleworth near Biggleswade. They offer a wide range of full-time study programmes and many subjects that are not found at local schools.
If a student has an identified learning difficulty and/or disability the Additional Support team can provide support and give assistant to complete the course.
- Learning Facilitators offer small group support to make assignments fantastic and develop English and maths skills further
- specialist equipment, adapted materials and other resources to support learning
- special exam arrangements if required
- support with accessing the College
- hearing and autistic support specialists
The Foundation Skills Programme is aimed at young people with identified learning difficulties and/or disabilities. The programme is aimed at developing social, personal, employability and independent learning skills within a supported environment.
Barnfield College has campuses at New Bedford Road in Luton and Enterprise Way in Luton. They offer a wide range of vocational courses.
They have a team of specialist Additional Learning Support (ALS) staff on hand to support students with a learning difficulty, disability or long-term health condition.
This support includes:
- One-to-one support
- In-class support
- Scribes and/or note takers
- Specialist equipment (e.g. IT software)
- Dyslexia specialist
- Access arrangements for exams
- Drop-in sessions
The Skills for Life programme is for students working at entry level who need extra support with their learning, or have a learning difficulty
Central Bedfordshire College
Central Bedfordshire College offers a wide range of vocational courses which prepare students to start work in the industry of their choice with lots of practical skills and valuable work experience.
For young people with a learning difficulty, disability or other learning needs, the dedicated ALS (Additional Learning Support) team are available to help. The responsive team help to provide tailored support to not only encourage learning, but also enhance the student experience.
The Pathways department provide a stimulating and nurturing environment for students with different learning needs to develop in independence, confidence and skills. The Pathways courses are designed to teach practical and transferrable skills which can be taken into the workplace and give learners a positive environment in which they can make friends and enjoy activities.
Milton Keynes College
Milton Keynes College offers an open and inclusive experience to learners of all levels and backgrounds. They offer a broad variety of qualifications, including vocational courses, apprenticeships, higher education, professional certificates as well as employability skills and community training.
For students with a learning difficulty or disability, they have a variety of resources and support options available. Their specialist and friendly team can provide support and guidance in the following areas:
- Emotional, behavioural and social difficulties
- Autistic spectrum conditions
- Dyslexia and specific learning difficulties
- Deafness and hearing loss
- English and maths
- Medical conditions
- Mental health difficulties
- Physical disabilities/mobility needs (including access to our buildings and facilities)
- Study skills (organising your time and workload)
- Understanding tasks and meeting deadlines
- Visual impairments
Studying an Inclusive Learning course is a brilliant opportunity to improve confidence, prepare for the world of work and a chance to make lifelong friends. The Inclusive Learning programme is perfect for those who need a bit of extra time and support at College.
Who to contact
Contact NameMilton Keynes College
Moulton College is a specialist, innovative and industry led technical and vocational college which supports young people to access skills and progress into the world of work.
The college supports young people with SEND through the learning support centre by:
- offering support on a one to one basis, small groups and in tutor group settings. Support is available in theory and practical sessions.
- All computers are equipped with assistive technology software such as text reader.
- Revision Skills
- Exam support
- Exam concessions
- Support with English and Maths
- Planning and structuring assignments
- Organising workloads
- Communication support workers
- Counselling services
The supported learning course offers courses in basic construction skills, preparing for life and work skills and supported internships.
Who to contact
Contact NameMoulton College