SENDIASS - Support
What is SENDIASS?
SENDIASS stands for Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service. There are SENDIASS services, like ours in every local authority. The SENDIASS services offer help and advice to those parents & carers of children with a disability and/or special educational needs and directly to young people who have special educational needs or a disability.
Who we support
- Parents and carers of children and young people aged 0 – 25 in who live in Bedford Borough local authority who are concerned about their child/young persons educational progress.
- Children and young people aged 0 – 25 in the Bedford Borough area, with SEND and/or a disability who are concerned about the educational progress they are making or the support they are receiving.
Not sure if you live in Bedford Borough’s local authority area? Contact us and we’ll help you find your service.
Types of support we offer
- We provide a confidential and impartial information and advice service.
- If you are a young person, we can provide you with information and support in addition to the support we provide your parents or carers.
- We can help you find local and national services.
- We can help you prepare for important meetings at nurseries, schools or colleges, with Health and social care if they relate to your education. We can help you understand the processes or have your voice heard in difficult meetings about exclusion, admissions and Interim reviews etc.
- We can support you through the Education, Health and Care Plan process, including requesting an assessment by the local authority, help completing Section A ( about you and your child), and reviewing the draft Plan.
- We can help with deciding which nursery, school, college or course might be best for your child/young.
- We can provide Advice and support if your child has SEN or a disability and has been excluded.
- We can help you plan with your child’s nursery, school, college or course the help that would help your child to make as much progress as is possible.
We can help with the following guidance
- SEN Code of Practice & Children and Families Act
- The Local Offer – the Local Authority’s one stop website to finding out SEND sources of support, events and local services
- Personal Budgets
- Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP) including Annual Reviews & Interim reviews
- School Exclusions & School Admissions related to your child’s Special educational needs and/or disability
How to contact us?
Telephone 01234 276267 lines are open Term Time Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, we offer 30 minutes bookable appointments between 10am and 2pm daily, you can book a slot by telephoning or sending an email to Email Sendiass@bedford.gov.uk