Skip to main content


Training can boost your skills and make you more employable. Listing recent training on your CV can give a positive impression to recruiters, particularly if you have little work experience.

Most of the below information is taken directly from the SCOPE website. You can view the SCOPE website by clicking here

Local training for those currently unemployed

There are local services that offer training and support to people seeking to build their employability skills:

Bedford College offers a range of courses to people who are currently unemployed. you can view their courses by clicking here

SSG have courses aimed at people seeking to boost their employability skills. you can view their range of courses by clicking here

Instep have partnered with Whistl to offer a 5 day online level 2 training course in 'Principles of Warehouse and Storage' for anyone 19 years of age and older who is currently unemployed. This 5 day course offers a guarnteed interview with Whistl at the end of the training. For more information or to sign up  email  

What training is right for you?

You should think about:

  • your skills and experience, such as GCSEs, A-levels, vocational training, work experience
  • the skills, knowledge or training you need to get the kind of job you want
  • whether you can find free training or online courses

Free online courses on FutureLearn

Free business events on Eventbrite

Training can help you to get specific roles. More general training can help you to get a broader range of jobs. For example, courses on presentation skills or time management can make you more employable.

It may help to make a list of what you’re good at. People who know you well could help you to do this. Or you could use jobs skills tests to help you identify your skills.

National Careers Service Skills Health Check

Finding jobs that interest you

You can search for roles and the skills needed on the National Careers Service’s job profiles page.

Use these profiles to see if you need additional skills or qualifications to do the job you want.

Types of training

If you’re working, you could ask if your employer could pay for all or some of your equipment and training.

If you’re a student, you may be able to get Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to cover some of the extra study-related costs.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

Short or day training courses

Short or day courses can enhance your CV. These could include learning to use software or developing presentation skills.  

To find short or day courses, you could:

  • try a general search online
  • contact charities in your area
  • look for adult learning where you live
  • see what’s offered by local colleges and universities

Ask your work coach about what help you can apply for. If you do not have a work coach, contact your local Jobcentre Plus.

Academic courses

Academic qualifications include GCSEs, A-levels and degrees. Some employers will ask for qualifications in specific subjects.

Search for colleges that can meet your specific needs (Natspec)

Vocational courses

Noah Enterprise are an excellent local training provider that offer free IT Intro courses. They deliver courses in small groups. For more information visit

These tend to focus on practical skills that you will need in a specific role or field. Examples of vocational courses include IT, construction, catering, hairdressing and hospitality.

Search for vocational courses (City and Guilds)

Apprenticeship Schemes

Sometimes learning on the job is the best way to learn new skills. Apprenticeships are a mix of work and study. They combine training at work with classroom or home learning.

At the end of your apprenticeship you will receive a recognised qualification.

Find an apprenticeship (GOV.UK) - Here you can filter by Disability confident employers

Apprenticeships (Get My First Job)

Download a pdf guide to apprenticeships (Disability Rights UK)


A traineeship is a course with work experience for people aged 16 to 24. You can get help with English and Maths if you need it. You will not be paid but you might get expenses.

Find a traineeship (GOV.UK)

Access to Higher Education Diploma

A qualification for people who want to go to university, but who do not have traditional qualifications like GCSEs or A-levels.

Search for courses (Access to Higher Education)