Skip to main content


Most young people will learn some skills about using money at school or college and in their day to day life.

As young people get older they may want to learn more about spending and saving their money, which can be a bit overwhelming.

In this section you will find information about getting help with money and different types of benefits, and how you can apply.

Money matters

Money Matters

The information below includes easy read fact sheets, links to videos and other useful, accessible information on money matters.

Useful websites to help with money matters

Bank accounts and managing your money

Opening a bank account for the first time can be daunting. Below are some useful hints and tips

Barclays Money Skills video'have information about opening and using bank accounts, managing your money and keeping safe.

Watch more Barclay's Money Skills video's to help you learn about:

  • using money
  • budgeting, and saving
  • getting advice
  • shopping around
  • the cost of borrowing
  • needs versus wants


There are many different types of benefits and allowances to help families and young people who have SEND. Most benefits and allowances require the family or young person to be assessed by someone, such as a social worker, a health professional, the Department for Work and Pensions or the Local Authority.

Assessments and the associated paperwork and forms can be complex, long and use language that is not familiar to most people.

Please see the next section for details about help with benefits 

Help with Benefits


Benefits Calculator

You can use the free Turn2Us benefits calculator to see which benefits you may be able to get.

Here is the link to the Benefits Calculator website: 

Turn2us Benefits Calculator

Below is a link to a video explaining how the Benefits Calculator works:


Another useful tool is the Budget Planner

This is a useful website as it will help you work out how much money you have coming in and going out in your bank account. Here is the link: Money Advice Service Budget Planner

The information on these pages provide links to helplines, fact sheets, easy read guides and websites that can help if you are thinking of applying or want to understand the benefits and allowances that may be available.

The following website is a good source of information on all the benefits

Benefits and financial support if you're disabled or have a health condition

If you need further support with benefits you can contact Citizens Advice

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking or needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability
  • DLA isn't means tested, so it doesn't matter how much you earn or how much savings you have.
  • If you're not sure if you're eligible you can read more about eligibility for DLA for children.

Here is a video explaining what DLA means:

Get an application form

You can either phone for an application form or download one. 

It's best to phone because your payments will be backdated to the date you phoned. If you download an application form, you'll only be paid from the date that the DWP receives the form.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) Helpline

Telephone: 0800 121 4600 
Textphone: 0800 121 4523 

Relay UK - if you can't hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then 0800 121 4600

You can use Relay UK with an app or a textphone. There’s no extra charge to use it. Find out how to use Relay UK on the Relay UK website.

Video relay - if you use British Sign Language (BSL). 

You can find out how to use video relay on YouTube.

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm 

Calls are free from mobiles and landlines.

You can download an application using the following link 

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children: Overview - GOV.UK (



DLA to PIP When your child/young person turns 16 - moving to Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP is a disability benefit similar to DLA, but for people aged  16 and over.

You’ll get a letter from the DWP shortly before your child’s 16th birthday telling you about switching from DLA to PIP. 

You’ll need to fill in a new form and your child will need to go for an assessment - even if they didn’t have an assessment for DLA.

The Citizen Advice Bureau has provided the following advice on moving from DLA to PIP to help you get ready.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment, also known as PIP can help you get money for extra living costs if you have both:

  • a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability
  • difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition

This funding is for those aged 16 or over that have a health condition or disability where you:

You can get PIP even if you’re working, have savings or are getting most other benefits.

Here is a video explaining what PIP means:

Here is the website link, where you can find out how to apply:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP): What PIP is for - GOV.UK (

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It’s paid monthly.

You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.

Here is a video explaining what Universal Credit is and how it can help you when you need it.

Here is the website link, where you will find information on getting support and how to apply for Universal Credit:

 Universal Credit: What Universal Credit is - GOV.UK (

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You may get employment and support allowance (ESA) if your illness or disability affects your ability to work.

Find out more about employment and support allowance (ESA)

You may be able to get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you can't work because of illness or disability.

Working tax credit

Working tax credit has been replaced by universal credit.

You can still make a new claim for working tax credit if you get the severe disability premium.

Find out more about working tax credit

Disabled students’ allowances (DSAs)

Undergraduate or postgraduate students can apply for Disabled Students' Allowances to cover some of the extra costs of study because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

Find out more and apply

Student finance for undergrades

Student finance lets you borrow money to help pay for University or college. Some students can get a grant if they are disabled.

Find out how to apply for student finance and what you are eligible for

Access to work

This grant is for people with a disability, health or mental health condition. It can help support you to:

  • Start working
  • Stay in work
  • Move into self-employment or start a business

Here is a video explaining what Access to Work is:

 Here is the website link, where you can apply:

Access to Work: get support if you have a disability or health condition: What Access to Work is - GOV.UK (

Job seekers allowance (JSA)

There are 3 different type of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), which types you can get depends on your circumstances.

Find out more about job seeker’s allowance

Housing benefit

Housing Benefit to help you pay rent has been replaced by universal credit. You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you’re getting the severe disability premium or were entitled to it within the last month.

Find out more about housing benefit

Vehicle tax reduction

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax. The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person's name or their nominated driver's name.

Vehicle tax reduction

You can get a 50% reduction in vehicle tax if you get the PIP standard rate mobility component.

For more information visit:

More information can be found by clicking on 

Financial help if you're disabled: Vehicles and transport - GOV.UK (

Direct Payments and Personal Budgets - arranging your own care and services

If you've been assessed by your local council as needing care and support services, you may want to choose Direct Payments. They allow you to buy in and arrange help yourself instead of receiving it directly from your local council. 

Please see the Personal Budgets leaflet, FAQ'documents on the right of the page.

Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants are local council grants. They help towards the cost of essential adaptations to your home to enable you to continue to live there . 

For more information please visit the Disabled facilities grant page on the local offer 

You may be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax bill if your home has certain features that are essential to you living there.

Disabled Facilities Grants: Overview - GOV.UK (

Blind Person’s Allowance

The Blind Person's Allowance allows you to receive an amount of income without having to pay tax. It's added to your personal tax allowance.

For more information visit

Television license discount

You can get 50% off the cost of your TV licence if either

  • You’re registered blind or severely sight impaired
  • You live with someone who is registered blind or severely sight impaired

Find out more at

VAT relief for disabled people

If you’re disabled, you will not be charged VAT on products designed or adapted for your own personal or domestic use.

Find out more at

Discretionary housing payments

These payments support customers who are unable to cover their housing costs through regular housing supports?

See how to claim discretionary housing payments

Council tax disabled band reduction scheme

You may be entitled to a reduction in your council tax bill if your home has certain features that are essential to you living there. Please visit the Discounts and exemptions - Overview page 

16 to 19 Bursary Fund

You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re aged 16 to 19 and:

  • studying at a publicly funded school or college in England - not a university
  • on a training course, including unpaid work experience

A publicly funded school is one that does not charge you for attending it.

There’s a different scheme in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

If you’re 19 and over

You could also get a bursary if you either:

What a bursary is for

A bursary is money that you, or your education or training provider, can use to pay for things like:

  • clothing, books and other equipment for your course
  • transport and lunch on days you study or train

 You can find more information on the government website:

16 to 19 Bursary Fund: Overview - GOV.UK (

Disability Grants

Thie below website provide information about grants people with disabilities may be able to access Disability Grants 

Buying a home

Get help from Support for Mortgage Interest: easy read

Request an accessible format.

How to apply for Support for Mortgage Interest: easy read


These easy read guides tell you:

  • what SMI is
  • who can get SMI
  • how to apply for SMI

Easy read documents are designed to make information accessible to people with learning disabilities. If you do not need an easy read format, read the Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) guidance.