Skip to main content

SENDIASS - Frequently Asked Questions

Below are a list of questions we are often asked. The answers may help you decide what to do next but, if you are still unsure, please do contact us.


SENDIASS stands for Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service. There are SENDIASS services, like ours in every local authority. The SENDIASS services offer help and advice to those parents & carers of children with a disability and/or special educational needs and directly to young people who have special educational needs or a disability.

Is SENDIASS separate/Independent from the local Authority?

Yes we are. We are hosted by the Local Authority but are a separate service with our own systems and database that is only accessible to us. We provide a confidential service and record all our case notes, with your permission.

How do i contact SENDIASS

How to contact us

Please ring 01234 276267 lines are open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday during term time.  If we don't answer your call immediately it is because we are supporting other families.  Please leave a short brief message with your contact details.  We will call you back at the earliest opportunity.  Alternative email you enquiry to   

As an impartial service we ask that the parent/carer or young person contact the service direct to book an appointment slot. We are unable to accept referrals from third parties

What do we do?

We provide confidential support concerning educational issues for residents of Bedford Borough. We are impartial from school, local authority, health, social care and other organisations to provide advice and support.

We are a small service who aim to respond to enquires as quickly as possible. 

Where appropriate SENDIASS will offer a 20 minute bookable appointment between 10am and 2pm term time only. 


Do you charge parents/carers or young people for your help and advice?

No our service is FREE – our aim is to help you to know what support or information you can ask for, feel more confident to make choices and understand local and national systems better.

I am a young person over the age of 16, can I ask for help separately to my parent?

Yes, we can support young people with SEN and or who have a disability themselves. Even if your parent and carer wanted support two, there are two of us in the Bedford SENDIASS service so, one of us could support you and the other support your parent or carer.

I’m not sure if you are the right services I need?

We have information sheets on a number of issues. You can find them here.

Alternatively, you can fill in our contact form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. We can provide you with other organisations details if it turns out its not us who is best placed to help you. Not sure if you live in Bedford Borough’s local authority area? Contact us and we’ll help you find your service.

I am a teacher/ social worker or other professionals; can I refer a family to you?

We provide a service to parents/carers, young people, as and when they want our help. We don’t accept referrals from professionals, as it is totally voluntary if families want to access our help. We are very happy for you to make the first call with the parent or young person