Skip to main content

Travel and Transport

Travel to school and college

Most children and young people get to school with their parents or carers, or on their own if they're older. This may not be possible for some people with special educational needs or disability (SEND) because:

  • their school is too far away
  • they're unable to walk
  • they're not able to use public transport in the same way as other children

We can support travel arrangements for these children and young people. 

School Transport | Bedford Local Offer

Discounts on public transport


There are a number of discount schemes and you may be eligible for a  free bus pass if you meet age or disability criteria. 

Concessionary travel scheme | Bedford Local Offer

Find out about buses including timetables and routes


With a disabled persons railcard you can get you a third off rail travel throughout the country. Disabled Persons Railcard | Bedford Local Offer

Community transport

Community transport services can help you if you have trouble getting around or you don't want to use public transport.

Door to Door provides wheelchair accessible minibuses for people unable to use public transport in the Bedford area. They aim to provide a safe, accessible service for those who are unable to use ordinary public transport due to disability, either temporary or permanent. Bedford Door to Door wheelchair accessible minibuses | Bedford Local Offer

For other community transport options Community transport | Bedford Borough Council


Cycling can be a quick and healthy option. The town centre is a 15-20 minute ride from almost all of Bedford and Kempston.

These organisations can help you get the most out of cycling in the town and countryside of Bedford Borough:

  • Bikeability is the Department of Transport’s cycle safety and training programme for schools and adults. 
  • Travel Bedford cycling offers information on local cycling clubs, help to choose a bike and bike safety.
  • Sustrans is a charity that works to make it easier for people to walk and cycle.
  • Cycling Campaign for North Bedfordshire works to promote, encourage and support cycling in North Bedfordshire
  • The NHS Live Well website has lots of information about how cycling can improve your health.

Cycle training

We offer reduced rate cycle training for any resident within Bedford Borough. Sessions are £5 and are bespoke to suit individual needs.

So if you’re a complete beginner, or want to gain some confidence to get back into cycling, you can book a session by emailing

Cycling for adults with physical disabilities

Three Wheelers is a non-commercial (members only) club enabling adults with physical disabilities to get back to feeling “the wind in their hair”.

Three Wheelers has semi-recumbent trikes you can “pedal”  either with your feet, your hands or even with your prosthetics if you haven’t got hands or feet.

If you can transfer and sit on a chair then you can balance on a semi recumbent tricycle. You will get an individual assessment required to see if it’s right for you - a small cost can apply.

If it works for you, and you join the Three Wheeler (Bedford) club, regular rides take place on Wednesday afternoons and Friday mornings at Mowsbury Park, Bedford on a pay as you go basis.                                                           

Phone Jennie on 07830 147002 or email

Summer of SEND - FREE Inclusive Cycling Taster Sessions for SEND young people aged 14 to 25

Poster promoting the inclusive cycling

The sessions are designed to help the participants to improve their confidence and bike skills in a safe and structured way.  Enabling them to enjoy all the benefits of cycling.

How do I book?

3rd of July 6pm to 7pm  click here and the link will take you to eventbrite 

17th  of July 6pm to 7pm click here and the link will take you to eventbrite 


Do i need to bring a bike? Hemlet? Drink?

Yes you will need to bring your bike, a  Helmet can be provided if necessary, but preferred if people bring their own, (pl specify at time of booking) bring your own refreshments

Can i bring my carer if they have a bike?

First session will be on site, so no need, this may change to the road after assessment, and depending on their individual needs/ care plan. So possibly afterwards

Where will we go?

It will all be based at the location we start from to begin with

Do i need to be physical fit? 

No, it’s more of an assessment to see what level everyone is at, please wear non- baggy trousers and flat soled shoes

How do I book?

3rd of July click here and the link will take you to eventbrite 

17th  of July click here and the link will take you to eventbrite 

Where to go

Bedford Athletic Stadium

Barkers Lane


MK41 9SB Get directions


Learning to drive

Driving Lessons

The following sites give details on the support available to help young people with SEND with learning to drive.

The National Autistic Society - Driving (opens in new window)

No Gears Driving School - Special Needs Information (opens in new window)

Disability Driving Instructors 

Pass Driving School

Learning to drive with a hidden disability

Specialist Disability and Cognitive Driving Lessons

Disabled Motoring UK

FREE Help from home with the Driving Theory Test

FREE  and unlimited resources to help those who might need extra assistance to pass their Driving Theory Test are available online for library members. Visit

The Family Fund

The Family Fund administers a Driving Ambitions grant to help eligible disabled young people aged 16 and 17 to start learning to drive by funding a combination of provisional licence, theory test, learning materials and a taster lesson. Visit The Family Fund website (external link). 

Herts Ability

 Herts Ability is proud to be accredited by Driving Mobility, who co-ordinate 20 independent driving and mobility assessment centres across the UK.

Driving Mobility ensures common standards, promotes good practice and offers training and education to all regional centres.

Herts Ability also works closely with associated national organisations, including Department for Transport, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Motability, NHS Trusts, and many more valued stakeholders.

QEF Mobility Services

Practical advice, assessment and training for people with disabilities wishing to learn how to drive or return to driving following an accident or illness. 020 8770 1151 Visit the QEF website 

Owning a Car

Disabled Motoring UK

A charity which supports disabled drivers, passengers and Blue Badge holders working with government and businesses across the UK in order to improve parking, refuelling, and access provision for disabled people, so that they can access the goods and services that they need. Visit Disabled Motoring UK's website

Vehicle Tax

Recipients of the higher rate mobility component of DLA or the enhanced rate mobility component of PIP are exempt from paying vehicle tax: this can be for their own vehicle or that of a nominated carer. The exemption can be claimed when applying for a tax disc by providing the serial number on the certificate of entitlement for DLA or PIP.

Recipients of PIP standard rate mobility component are entitled to a 50% reduction in their vehicle tax.  For more information on how to apply for the reduction contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) on [0300 790 6802. Visit the Government website for more information on vehicle tax (external link).

Please note that if you qualify for road tax exemption, you may use the Dartford Tunnel toll and bridge, free of charge.  You will need to register your car by completing and returning an application form available from:  01322 280200/ 01322 221603 . 

Disabled parking and Blue Badges

You can apply for a Blue badges | Bedford Local Offer to help park closer to your destination, either as a driver or a passenger. You can also display a Blue Badge in a car where you're a passenger.

You can apply on behalf of your child. There's no age limit and they don't need to be able to drive. 

Blue Badge holders can also apply to have a disabled parking bay outside their home On street disabled parking bay application | Bedford Borough Council

Motability scheme

Enables people who receive either the higher rate mobility component of DLA or the enhanced rate mobility component of PIP to exchange their mobility allowance to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair. The person with the disability does not need to be the person who will drive the car. You cna contact them on 0845 456 4566.


Contact your local taxi service to find out if they can support your needs. 

If you have an assistance dog, the taxi or minicab must allow your dog in their vehicle. They can only say no if they have an exemption certificate. This is a yellow 'notice of exemption' notice displayed on their windscreen.

Independent Travel Training (ITT)

Independent travel training is teaching the basic skills needed to support your child/young person to start travelling within their local community with confidence and independence. It does not mean that the child/young person is suddenly left unaccompanied and placed at risk. There should be a gradual withdrawal of support as the child/young person becomes confident at sections of the route they are learning. Independent travel training | Bedford Local Offer


Independent Travel Training offers many benefits to young people as it;

  • Promotes independence and enables young people to access social activities
  • Increases confidence and helps them to feel safer in their community
  • Helps to improve social skills and maintain relationships
  • Opens up many routes to further education, employment or leisure