Skip to main content

King's Oak Primary School

Our dedicated staff are fully committed to ensuring that King's Oak is an inspirational and exciting place of learning – a place where children strive to achieve their very best within a supportive, caring community.  We  have very high expectations for everyone and are committed to each child reaching their full potential so that they leave us fully equipped with the knowledge and skills  needed for their next phase of learning.

We are very proud of King's Oak Primary which is well resourced and has the most wonderful grounds and facilities - not many schools have their own farm!!  

Who to contact


Where to go

King's Oak Primary School
Oak Road
MK42 0HH
Get directions

Other Details


Before and after school Club contact school for prices
Age Bands
11-14 years old
0-4 years old
5-10 years old

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

Your Child’s Class Teacher is responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support).
  • Writing Pupil Progress targets/Individual Provision Plans (IPPs); sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term for children of statutory school age, and half termly for Early Years children
  • Providing the appropriate support in order to ensure all pupils access their learning through high-quality teaching practice.
  • Supporting individuals to manage their behaviour and emotions
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.

If a teacher has concerns about a child he/she will contact parents with any concerns and parents will be invited to share their views and opinions about their child. Pupil’s views will also be sought. To implement the SEND policy we use an ‘assess, plan, do, review’ cycle. This means that we carefully assess pupil’s needs, decide on targets and types of support, implement it and then evaluate the success.

Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo). This can be done by arranging an appointment either by telephone or by email.
SENDCo: Trina Bambridge 01234 220480

The SENDCo oversees the SEND provision and monitors impact as well as providing day to day strategic advice and support. The SENDCo is responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy.
  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are involved in supporting your child’s learning, kept informed out the support your child is getting and involved in reviewing how they are doing.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
  • Liaising with other schools when children join or leave the school.
  • Attending training, cluster meetings, visiting other schools to establish good practice and ensuring staff are up to date with their knowledge.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible. This includes leading whole school training.
  • Monitoring and evaluating the special educational needs provision and reporting findings to the Senior Leadership Team and Governing body

The Executive Head teacher: Jo Alikhan
Heads of School: Corinne Royden (Oak) and Michelle Ginn (Kings)
Responsible for:

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND. The Head teacher will give responsibility to the SENDCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Head teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND

The SEN Governor: Anna Heavey
Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school. Undertaking regular monitoring visits to the school to verify that relevant policies and practices are being applied.
  • Reporting to the Inclusion and Safeguarding Committee on the provision for
  • SEND pupils.
  • Liaising with the Standards and Quality Committee to monitor the progress of SEND pupils in comparison to their peers.
How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

a) Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).
For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows can do and can understand
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved ith learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning. 
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn
  • Specific group work interventions which may be run in the classroom or a group room.

Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
If it is found that a child is still not making

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy
SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)
This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services, such as Educational Psychology Team,
  • Behaviour Support Team or Sensory Advisory Service (for children with hearing or visual needs).

What could happen?
You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist which is typically done either through filling in a form direct to the service or by filling in an Early Help Assessment (EHA). This will help the school and yourself to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support. This will be written in the form of a report.

c) Specified Individual support
For a small number of children, it may be necessary for the school to make a request to Bedford Borough Council for an Education, Health and Care needs assessment. This request can be made by the school or by parents.
‘The purpose of an EHC plan is to make special educational provision to meet the special educational needs of the child or young person, to secure the best possible outcomes for them across education, health and social care and, as they get older, prepare them for adulthood. (SEND Code of Practice, 2014)’
The SENCO will always discuss this with parents first and only proceed with their permission in writing.
At any point parents can contact the SEND Advice Service which offers free confidential information, advice and support on Special Educational Needs and Disabilities to children, young people and parents.

Borough Hall,
Cauldwell Street
Tel: 01234 267422
Bedford MK42 9AP

Alternatively the Independent Parental Special Educational Advice
(IPSEA) offers free confidential support for parents and carers of children with special educational needs. Tel: 0800 018 4016

For your child this would mean:
The Educational Heath and Care Needs Assessment is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that may be provided for your child.
After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
The EHC Plan will detail the support your child will receive in terms of the type, hours, frequency of support and level of expertise. It will also have long and short-term goals for your child.
The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

d) Children with Hearing Impairments
The Borough Hearing Impaired Provision is based at the school. Children identified as having significant hearing loss will benefit from individualised programmes and support, this may be set out in their Educational Health and Care Plan (EHCP), if this is applicable
This support may include:

  • Individual/group sessions with a Teacher of the Deaf
  • Educational Communicator support within lessons, assemblies, and during educational visits
What specialist services and expertise are avaliable at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

School provision

  • Teachers
  • Teaching Assistants responsible for teaching SEN groups/individuals
  • Learning Mentors
  • School Clubs
  • Family Support Worker

Local Authority Provision delivered in school

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory and Communication Team support for children with visual or hearing needs
  • SEND support Team
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)
  • Autism Advisory Service
  • Behaviour Support Team
  • Early Help Team
  • Early Years Support Team

Health Provision delivered in school

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • CAMHs (The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service)
  • CHUMS (Child Bereavement and Trauma Service)
What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

The SENDCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.
The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and communication and language difficulties.
Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

How accessible is the setting/school/college enviroment?

The school is fully compliant with requirements set out in the Equality Act 2010
 The Acorn/Oak Buildings are on one level with easy access, double doors and ramps.
 The King’s Building is on two levels, the upper floor is not currently accessible for wheelchair users, however classrooms and all other facilities can be accessed on the ground floor
 There is a disabled toilet, shower area and changing facilities in all three buildings.
 We ensure where ever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
 After-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEND.
 Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

We recognise that times of transition can be a cause of anxiety for all pupils, especially those with SEND. We ensure that teachers liaise closely in order to ensure information is passed between staff when pupils move classes, or move to new schools. The SENDCO also provides support at these handover meetings. Pupils are given additional opportunities to visit new classes and will be given personalised support such as social stories to explain to them what is happening and why.

If your child is joining us from another school:
The SENDCo will visit pre-schools with the Foundation Stage Leader when appropriate.
If your child would be helped by a book/photographs to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.
Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, if this is appropriate.

If your child is moving to another school:
We will contact the school SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENDCo from the new school.
We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving classes in school:
Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. IPPs/Personal Targets will be shared with the new teacher.
If appropriate/possible your child will be have taster sessions with his/her new teacher.

In Year 6:
The SENDCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of the child’s secondary school. In most cases, a transition review meeting, to which you will be invited, will take place with the SENDCo from the new school.
Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead. Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

The school budget, received from Bedford Borough LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND. The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs or Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school. The Head Teacher and the SENDCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

  • the children getting extra support already
  • the children needing extra support
  • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected

From this information, the school identifies the support, training and resources needed.

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

 The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.
 The SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
 All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
 Personal targets /IPPs will be reviewed with your involvement every term.
 Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual requirements.
 A home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.