Stockwood Discovery Centre - Coronavirus Update
New opening hours will be in place: Thursday - Sunday 10am until 4pm.
Unfortunately some areas remain closed this includes the Mossman Gallery, Stables and Walled Gardens. Please refer to our FAQ's for more information on your visit.
Any questions please email: email@example.com
We can't wait to welcome our visitors back!
Galleries – Our galleries tell the stories of real people behind the collections, exploring the history of the region from prehistoric times to the modern day.
Highlights include the Wenlok Jug – a rare medieval masterpiece with strong links to Luton’s history and development, the town’s last tram and the famous Mossman collection of carriages – the largest collection of carriages – the largest collection of its kind on display in the UK.
Explore life’s journey from birth to death through personal stories and some wonderful objects from the collections.
Spings and Wheels
Take a seat inside some of out carriages to see how people travelled and investigate how comfort improved.
George Mossman of Caddington, near Luton, collected, drove, restored and constructed horse-drawn vehicles for over fifty years, His collection is one of the highlights of any visit.
Located in the original stables of Stockwood House, these galleries explore the history of the region from prehistoric times to the evolution of Stockwood House and the Farley estate.
- Start your tour with an introduction to Stockwood, with a gallery looking at its history for the last 200 years.
- Explore the changes to the environment in the Landscape and People Gallery.
- Meet some of the early inhabitants of the area in the Discover Archaeology Gallery and learn how we uncover the past.
- In the Roman and Anglo Saxon Gallery see the legacy that these people left us.
- Walk the streets of Luton in the 1400s in the Medieval Gallery.
- Thomas Wyatt Bagshawe was the museums first curator, in the Rural Trades Gallery see some of the craft and trade objects he collected from Bedfordshire villages in the 1930s-1950s. Our forge is located next to this gallery.
Our collection of vintage stationary engines are also located at this end of the site.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Stockwood Discovery Centre
- LU1 4LX
- Get directions
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Thursday - Sunday 11am til 5pm.
- Table of costs
Table of costs Amount Cost Type Free entry
- Age Bands
11-14 years old
18-25 years old
Parents and carers
15-17 years old
5-10 years old