RSPB The Lodge Nature Reserve, Sandy - Lockdown opening information
The Lodge Nature Reserve and Gardens is a very special place, offering an exceptionally rich combination of wildlife and heritage experiences. The woodland, heath and acid grassland here cover an area of some 220 hectares, and now form the largest stretch of heathland in Bedfordshire.
- Nature reserve: open daily, dawn-dusk. Closed outside of these hours.
- Car park: open daily, 7am-7pm. Closed outside of these hours.
- Shop: open daily, 10am-4pm.
- Visitor Information Centre: open most days.
- Toilets: open daily, 10am-4pm.
- Hide: closed.
Helping you find your way around
Access to facilities
- Entrance to visitors currently not permitted.
- Staff available to assist.
- 60 spaces 5 Blue Badge spaces
- Blue Badge spaces are 50m from the Gatehouse entrance.
- Blue Badge Space further down the drive towards The Lodge house
- Compacted stone surface
- No lighting
- No formal drop-off point
Nature trails access
- The path from the Visitor centre and shop, past the hide and to The Lodge house and around the gardens is on level, although at times slightly uneven ground. Other paths will have steeper, stepped sections and are not suitable for mobility vehicles and most prams.
- Trails can be steeply undulating, with raised tree roots, stepped sections, with some hard sand paths on the level. Seating is provided throughout the reserve. Information provided along trails can be read from a child’s eye/seated position.
- Viewing points available on the trials. The nearest to the car park is past the Visitor Centre to the right.
- Hide is currently closed
- Registered Assistance Dogs welcome.
- No other dogs are permitted on trails, except the public bridleway.
- A water bowl is available at the Gatehouse
Find out more about the accessibility of The Lodge. PDF, 51Kb
Who to contact
Where to go
- The Lodge
- SG19 2DL
- Get directions
Time / Date Details
- Time of day
- Age Bands
11-14 years old
18-25 years old
Parents and carers
15-17 years old
0-4 years old
5-10 years old