RSPB The Lodge Nature Reserve, Sandy - Lockdown opening information
n England, we are following government guidance on essential daily exercise outdoors. So, during lockdown from 5 November, many of our car parks, trails and toilets will remain open for you to visit.
Our visitor centres, hides, shops and cafés will be closed for the duration of this lockdown. We are also not running events.
Opening hours Everyday 7am to 7pm
You’ll notice we’ve made some changes to help keep you and our staff and volunteers safe. To maintain social distancing, we're operating toilets on a one in, one out and one-way system. They are open 10am-7pm.
Our hide remains closed for now. Please be mindful of our car park’s very limited capacity. Anyone choosing to visit should please observe current guidance around social distancing, hygiene and follow all signage on-site. We look forward to seeing you (from a safe distance of course!)
The Lodge Nature Reserve and Gardens is a very special place, offering an exceptionally rich combination of wildlife and heritage experiences. The woodland, heath and acid grassland here cover an area of some 220 hectares, and now form the largest stretch of heathland in Bedfordshire.
Helping you find your way around
Access to facilities
- Entrance to visitors currently not permitted.
- Staff available to assist.
- 60 spaces 5 Blue Badge spaces
- Blue Badge spaces are 50m from the Gatehouse entrance.
- Blue Badge Space further down the drive towards The Lodge house
- Compacted stone surface
- No lighting
- No formal drop-off point
Nature trails access
- The path from the Visitor centre and shop, past the hide and to The Lodge house and around the gardens is on level, although at times slightly uneven ground. Other paths will have steeper, stepped sections and are not suitable for mobility vehicles and most prams.
- Trails can be steeply undulating, with raised tree roots, stepped sections, with some hard sand paths on the level. Seating is provided throughout the reserve. Information provided along trails can be read from a child’s eye/seated position.
- Viewing points available on the trials. The nearest to the car park is past the Visitor Centre to the right.
- Hide is currently closed
- Registered Assistance Dogs welcome.
- No other dogs are permitted on trails, except the public bridleway.
- A water bowl is available at the Gatehouse
Find out more about the accessibility of The Lodge. PDF, 51Kb
Who to contact
- 01767 693333
Where to go
- The Lodge
- SG19 2DL
- Get directions
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Everyday 7am to 7pm
- Time of day
- Age Bands
11-14 years old
18-25 years old
Parents and carers
15-17 years old
0-4 years old
5-10 years old