This service can be accessed by professionals or parents who would like assistance in identifying, understanding and supporting young people who may face barriers to their learning and development.
Our experience: Our Autism Trainer, Mandy, is a qualified autism advisory teacher with over ten years of experience working within schools. Qualifications include: Bachelor of Education (BEd) and a Postgraduate Certificate in Asperger Syndrome. Mandy has been trained to use the ADOS assessment tool as the ‘second professional’ and is able to support other professionals in both providing and examining the evidence for an autism spectrum diagnosis, although only a medical professional can offer a diagnosis. Further associated training includes: Carol Gray 2 Day Social Stories, 3 & 5 Day TEACCH, 2 Day PECS, 2 Day SCERTs and 1 Day Protective Behaviours.
What this service can offer:
- Individual observations in the setting or at home
- Sensory environmental audit
- Holistic reports containing clear recommendations
- A focus on all areas including social communication and interaction, flexibility of thought, behaviours, the impact of sensory processing differences and environmental factors
- Advice about possible ways forward for the young person, suggested interventions and targets
- Useful evidence either pre or post diagnosis when seeking statutory support (please consult with your Local Authority to confirm they will recognise such evidence)
- Specific ‘Autism in the Classroom’ training for SENCOs, teachers and support staff *
Autism Bedfordshire will always agree service fees before going ahead with any work. We will offer an initial (one-off) up to 30 minute telephone consultation to any new client, free of charge, with no further obligation.
The cost of consultancy is £50/hour. This rate includes travel within 30 miles (roundtrip) of MK41 0UD. Where travel exceeds 30 miles (roundtrip) there will be an additional cost of 40p/mile added.
Example: Observation of a child (1 – 2 hours), written report with recommendations based on this observation and other information collated such as medical/school reports (3 hours). Typically this would total 5 hours’ work and therefore cost £250, plus travel if applicable. Please note that there might be additional costs for resources – such as social stories or visual prompts, where agreed in advance – and travel, depending on location. If required to attend a follow up meeting with staff and parents/carers, this would add a further hours’ fee to the total.
* Autism in the Classroom training is delivered as part of our professional training programme therefore the cost of this varies depending on the number of delegates.
Who to contact
- Please contact for pricing information.
- Age Bands
11-14 years old
18-25 years old
Parents and carers
15-17 years old
5-10 years old
- SEN Provision Type