Skip to main content

Concessionary travel scheme

Bus passes for disabled persons

Some people with a disability are entitled to a concessionary bus pass.

Residents with certain disabilities qualify for a national concessionary bus pass. The pass allows free off-peak travel on most local bus services anywhere in England. The person with the disability can also apply for a companion pass so a parent/carer can travel free with the disabled person at anytime within Bedford Borough.  The child with the disability has to be of fare paying age for a parent to apply for a companion bus pass 

Anyone applying for a pass due to a disability will need to prove that they have a disability which is permanent, or which has lasted or is likely to last for at least 12 months or more.

Types of disability

There are seven types of disability which can entitle a person to concessionary travel, these are someone who:

(a)  is blind or partially sighted

(b)  is profoundly or severely deaf

(c)  is without speech

(d)  has a disability, or suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk

(e)  does not have arms or has long-term loss of use of both arms

(f)   has a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning

(g)  would have an application for a driving license refused because of their physical fitness (other than due to misuse of drugs or alcohol). Examples of the types of medical conditions include;

  • some people with mental health issues
  • people with impaired vision
  • people with a diagnosis of epilepsy whose condition has not been completely controlled by medication for a year or more

Automatically entitled to a bus pass

A person is automatically entitled to a pass if they have receive any of the following benefits for at least 12 months or expect to receive them for at least 12 months:

  • Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) of 8 points or more for “Moving Around” or “Communicating Verbally"

A person who has a disabled persons’ parking badge (Blue Badge) may also be automatically entitled to a pass

Other disabled people

Where a disabled person is not automatically entitled to a pass further proof of the disability will be requested.  

In some circumstance we may ask someone to attend a assessment by a medical practitioner to check whether or not they are entitled to a pass.

How to apply for both the Concesionary travel pass and the companion 

You will need to complete an application form and provide proof you live in Bedford Borough and are entitle to a pass. The passes will be produced by an external manufacturer and will usually be posted direct to your home address. Please allow up to three weeks from the date you apply to receive your pass.

You can complete an online application by clicking on one of the following links:

Apply for a disabled person's pass

You can pick request a  paper application form by post by telephoning 01234 718075 or emailing

Proof you are entitled to a bus pass

You will need to provide documents proving that you are a permanent resident of Bedford Borough and that you are eligible by age or have an eligible disability. The documents should be recent and show your full name and address, they can be either original documents or photocopies. The types of documents that can be accepted may change from time to time; please see the current application form for details.

Examples of the documents that can be accepted include:

For proof of age:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Driving Licence
  • Pension Letter

For proof of address:

  • State retirement pension letter
  • Utility bill (less than 4 months old) e.g. Gas, electric or telephone
  • Council tax or benefit letter
  • Driving licence

For proof of an eligible disability:

  • A Blue Badge (copy of both sides showing serial number and expiry date)
  • Proof that you currently receive the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) of 8 points or more for "Moving Around" or "Communicating Verbally".
  • Proof that you receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS) or payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Tariff 1-8

If you are not in receipt of any of the above benefits or a blue badge, please speak to a member of staff who can advise you.


Yes, you will also need to provide a passport quality and size colour photograph of yourself (exactly 35mm x 45mm). It should be a full face view (no hat or sunglasses), clear and sharp, not too light or dark with your face in the centre of the image, have been taken within the past year and against a cream background.

Without a suitable photograph (PDF) your pass cannot be produced. Old, poor quality snap shots are not suitable and cannot be used.

Do companions of a disabled pass holder have to pay?

No. A companion of a disable person with a companion pass can travel free at anytime within Bedford Borough.

Does Bedford Borough Council offer any extra concessions?

Until 31 January 2017 Bedford Borough Council's concessionary travel pass holders were allowed to travel free at any time within the Borough's area.  The Scheme changed from 1 February 2017 when a £1 fare was introduced for most peak time travel.

See also travelling by train below.

What is a ‘local’ bus?

There is a legal definition, but in everyday terms it means the bus services used by the general public running in towns and cities or linking nearby towns with one another or running between towns and the villages around them.

Community bus services like the Flittabus, Ivel Sprinter, Road Runner, Villager and Whitbread Wanderbus are included. If in doubt, check with the operator of the service.

Local bus routes operated in the Bedford Borough area include:

  • Bedford Park & Ride
  • Ivel Sprinter
  • Flittabus
  • Grant Palmer
  • Roadrunner
  • Stagecoach
  • The Villager
  • Whitbread Wanderer
  • UNO

What do I do if my circumstances change?

If you move address you must notify Bedford Borough Council in writing. If you do not, you will not receive a new pass when yours has expired.

If you move out of the Bedford Borough area you should return your pass to the Council and make an application to your new local authority.

See also:

Who to contact


Time / Date Details

When is it on
Off peck travel is between 9:30am and 11pm
Time of day

Other Details

Age Bands
11-14 years old
18-25 years old
Parents and carers
15-17 years old
5-10 years old