Youth Intervention Specialist service from the Violence and Exploitation Reduction Unit
An innovative partnership initiative between the Violence and Exploitation Reduction Unit (VERU), specialist providers of emotional counselling and practical support, and Bedfordshire Police. Designed to help and support the community, children and young people involved in and/or at risk of CCE.
The Unit has produced a four minute video about the work it has so far done in addressing its goal of ending violence and the criminal exploitation of our young people in Bedfordshire. Watch video on youtube
The YIS Team specialises in youth interventions. They comes with a wealth of both lived and professional experiences, ready to support and work with victims, witnesses and those involved in criminal activities - to include our specialist area around gang associations.
Our aim is to encourage the reduction of Child Criminal Exploitation (CCE) and violent activities impacting our Bedfordshire community. We provide a supportive service for Educators, children, young people and their families - some of whom may be currently disengaged with services.
Although the support and service that we offer is not mandatory, we as Youth Intervention Specialists recognise that we will be tasked to work with some young people and families who may not wish to engage. The strength of our YIS Team is that we are all skilled in working with this cohort.
Alongside our key partners we will always strive to ensure that the community knows that there is a supplementary support service available for them, and anyone they are concerned about.
The service offered includes;
- 1-2-1 Support
- Specialist Counsellor to the VERU & Therapeutic Service
- Group Advisory Sessions
- Support for School Inclusion Units & Alternative Provisions
- County Lines Awareness
- Gang Intervention Education
- Personal Safety Planning
- Family Support
- Multi-Agency Support/Signposting
- Mediation/Community Resolution
- Community Talks
- Education Workshops/Talks & Assembly’s
About our Youth Intervention Specialists
- Lived experience Gangs and child criminal exploitation Lived experience
- Lived experience Living in war torn & violent country Lived experience
- Lived experience Loss of a child/family due to knife crime Lived experience
- Lived experience Child sexual exploitation Lived experience
- Lived experience School exclusions & behaviour reform
For more information about our FREE service or to speak to someone about a concern please email VERU@bedfordshire.pnn.police.uk
Who to contact
- Age Bands
11-14 years old
18-25 years old
Parents and carers
15-17 years old