Skip to main content

St Lawrence Church of England Primary School

We are a Church of England village school, serving the community of Wymington. Our school is committed to providing education of the highest quality within a happy, secure Christian environment.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Vickie Ashford
Contact Position

If you want to contact us to discuss your child or whether you are considering joining our school please contact the Head teacher on Tel: 01933 353530 so that we can arrange to meet with you. We operate an open door approach at school and all parents are welcomed into the school. We do try to be available to answer queries and concerns as soon as possible.

Where to go

St Lawrence Church of England Primary School
Manor Lane
NN10 9LL
Get directions

Time / Date Details

When is it on

Other Details


Breakfast 7.30am – 8.50am 07:30 – 08:50 £6.00 08:00 – 08:50 £4.00 After School 3.20pm-5.30pm 15:20 – 16:30 £4.00 15:20 – 17:30 £8.00
Age Bands
0-4 years old
5-10 years old

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

• Listen to any concerns you may have.

• Ensure you know how to support your child at home

• Plan any additional support your child may need.

• Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially. If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Inclusion Lead or the Head teacher. The school SEND Governor can also be contacted for support

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

The types of support available:

a) Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching). For your child this would mean

• That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

• That all teaching builds on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

• That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or using IT.

• Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the Inclusion Lead) are in place to support your child to learn.

• Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

• Specific group work

• Intervention which may be in the classroom or a group room and run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy This means a pupil has been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from Local Authority services, such as the Behaviour Support Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need) or agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS). What could happen? You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school. The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

c) Specified Individual support This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong. This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching. This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups. Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from Local Authority central services such as the Behaviour Support or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need) or outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service. For your child this would mean

• The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This legal process sets out the amount of support to be provided for your child.

• After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support. After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible. The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child. The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child. The Inclusion Lead’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND, to work with SEND children and to liaise with external support agencies. The Inclusion Lead will be available to explain this more fully to you. There is a named Governor who meets regularly with the school staff and who then reports back findings to the Governing body. The Governors monitor pupil progress throughout the school and they monitor how the school SEND budget is allocated. The Inclusion Lead offers appointments for parents and this is an opportunity for parents to discuss our provision. We talk about the strengths and weaknesses of children and involve the child in this discussion as much as we can.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class and will ensure that your child’s needs are met. Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning specifically to support the needs of your child where necessary and prepare additional resources. Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups. Planning and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

The class teacher will continually monitor your child’s progress. Their progress will be reviewed formally with the Head teacher, class teacher and Inclusion Lead every term in reading, writing and numeracy. If your child is in Reception or above, a more sensitive assessment tool can be used, which shows their attainment in more detail by breaking learning down into smaller steps. At the end of key stage 1 (i.e. at the end of year 2), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and these are the results that are published nationally. Where necessary, children will have an Additional Support Plan (ASP) based on targets set by outside agencies specific to their needs. Targets are designed to accelerate learning and close the gap. Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a future plan (next steps) made. The progress of children with an EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education. The class teacher and Inclusion Lead will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and group that they take part in. Regular book scrutinies and lesson observations will be carried out by the Senior Leadership Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

We have a school policy (available on request) for managing the administration of medicines. The document follows local guidelines. Many of our staff are First Aid trained and all of our staff have had training on administering Epi-Pens. One of the administration team oversees, registers and, with the Head teacher monitors attendance. If a child is causing concern then the Head teacher speaks to the parent to find out the cause. We have whole school policies to support behaviour so that everyone is familiar with rewards and sanctions. We use the expertise of the local authority for specific areas such as Behaviour Support, Child bereavement and emotional wellbeing service.

What specialist services and expertise are avaliable at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

School provision:

  • An HLTA is used for teaching SEND groups/individuals on a part-time basis.
  • Teaching Assistants often working in a quiet space, with either individual children or small groups.
  • IT support in the form of writing, maths, phonics and spelling programmes, are delivered by teaching assistants in small group or individual sessions, according to need. Local Authority Provision delivered in school:
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • School nursing team
What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

Staff are continually trained as part of the Teaching and Learning schedule. Opportunities to meet with professionals such as the Educational Psychologist and Speech and Language therapists are regularly set up and attended by teachers and teaching assistants. Teachers rea also able to access the Psychology Drop-in sessions throughout the year.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

Wherever possible we try to involve parents in planning trips as they have so much knowledge about their child and can anticipate their needs. All children are invited to attend trips. All children take part in inter school sport festivals. Sometimes, particularly for a sporting event, we are only asked to send a certain number on a team but we try to share out these opportunities. Occasionally we telephone parents when we are out on a trip, just to reassure them. Sometimes parents accompany their child on the trip. All children are welcome to attend Before and After School Club. Those who need it can be allocated an additional adult.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

Support for children is decided between the school staff who are involved in the day to day provision. Parents are always asked their opinion. Following assessments, teachers meet with the Head/SLT and Inclusion Lead at a Pupil Progress Meeting. The progress of all children is discussed and we talk about which children would benefit from further support. Often this support is allocating one-to-one support with a trained Teaching Assistant or with our HLTA.

How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

We discuss and agree the programme which would best suit the child, for example a younger child with a speech problem might benefit from a short, daily programme which could be continued at home over the weekend. An older pupil might benefit from 3 longer sessions over the school week. Staff report this back to parents so that you are aware of our actions and can further support your child at home. This joined up approach is essential. Often this type of additional support will last for the half term. We are careful to date work and make notes on the progress made so that we can track the impact. This helps us decide what we need to do next.