Talking Success - SLCN Training
Raising pupils achievement through improved Speech, Language & Communication Skills
Over the past three years ‘Talking Success’ training has successfully been rolled out across Northamptonshire; enabling mainstream teaching staff to identify & support children with speech, language and communication needs.
Following exceptional reviews, we are delighted to be able to offer this fantastic training opportunity to all mainstream schools across Bedford Borough.
Talking Success will enable schools to:
- Identify and support pupils with speech, language and communication needs through targeted interventions and class-room strategies
- Accelerate the speech, language and communication development of pupils in order to raise achievements in school
- Make successful and appropriate referrals to the Speech and Language Therapy Team when more specialist support is needed
- Engage in school to school networking and sharing of good practice
Talking Success training is six days long, spread out over the course of two months. Primary and Secondary Schools will be trained separately, so be sure to book with your age group.
Each school will need to enable three specific staff members to attend all six days (1 SENDCO, 1 Class Teacher, 1 Teaching Assistant), in order to fully benefit from this training. For schools with less than 120 pupils we recognise that it may not be possible to send three members of staff.
• ‘Talking Success’ is a comprehensive course compiling both theory and practical learning opportunities.
• The first sessions cover ‘typical’ development of speech, language and communication skills. There is also a focus on promoting ‘communication friendly environments’ and clear guidance on who and how to refer children to the Speech and Language Therapy service.
• The last three sessions cover how to support children with a range of speech, language and communication needs including vocabulary teaching, supporting children with Selective Mutism and stammering.
• Regular opportunities are provided to explore published speech and language interventions throughout the course.
• The training will be facilitated by NHS speech & language therapists.
For more details on training dates and how to book your place, see the training poster on teh right hand side of this page
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- SEND Programme Team
- Age Bands
11-14 years old
15-17 years old
5-10 years old