Sensory Room Gatwick Airport
The new space in the North Terminal has been designed for passengers with autism, dementia, cognitive impairment or other special needs who would benefit from a designated place to help them feel at ease before their flight.
The ‘chill-out zone’ for those needing calm includes floor cushions, bean bags and digital display panels, which generate colourful visual wall features. The separate ‘interactive zone’ stimulates the senses through tactile panels, textures and a game to improve memory, motor skills and encourages learning.
Activities to experience in the room include:
- Catherine Wheel Panel - colour and sound displays including firework effects
- Abstract Tactile Panels – raised and recessed fluid shapes in contrasting textures
- Colour Match Panel – classical music, mood lighting, and game to improve memory, colour recognition and motor skills
- Sound to Light Show – sounds converted into a dazzling light show of colour
- Waterless Rainbow Tube – colour wheel with both calming and stimulating effects
- Interactive Giant Causeway – step on each segment to activate colourful lights
- Activity Board - activities encouraging motor movement, coordination and sensory skills
- Infinity and Beyond Panel – visual and auditory effects using range of shapes, sounds, patterns and speeds
The free to use room is available only to departing passengers and their families or carers who can access a 45-minute session at the North Terminal’s special assistance desk after they've gone through security.
How do I book?
To use our sensory room before your flight, you must pre-book to guarantee your space - click here to book, or contact the special assistance team on 01293 507500. Gatwick recommends you arrive at the special assistance reception at least three hours before your flight.
Who to contact
- 01293 507500
- Age Bands
11-14 years old
18-25 years old
Parents and carers
15-17 years old
0-4 years old
5-10 years old