Skip to main content

Wilden VA Primary School

Who to contact

Contact Name
Lisa Byrne
Contact Position
Wilden VA Primary School

Where to go

Wilden Va Primary School
High Street
MK44 2PB
Get directions

Time / Date Details

When is it on
School day 08.55- 15.20
Time of day

Other Details


Table of costs
Table of costs
AmountCost Type
£3.50 per hour for breakfast and after school club per hour
Age Bands
11-14 years old
0-4 years old
5-10 years old

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

We know when pupils need help if:

  • · Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child.
  • · Limited progress is being made.
  • · There is a change in the child’s progress or behaviour.

Information is transferred into school by other providers, for example, pre-school nurseries.

How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

Wilden VA Primary School, is an inclusive school and we embrace the fact that every child is different, and, therefore, the educational needs of every child is different; this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.


We have a broad and balanced curriculum, which is adapted and made accessible for the children’s varying needs.


Each child’s education will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated according to each child’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistants in the class.


If a child has needs related to more specific areas of learning such as spelling, handwriting, literacy or numeracy skills, then they may be placed in a small group where specific interventions are given. These may be run by outside of the classroom. The interventions will be regularly reviewed to ensure their effectiveness. If you have any queries related to the interventions please speak with the class teacher.


Child progress meetings are held half termly in school. These are meetings where the class teacher discusses the progress of pupils with the Senior Leadership Team or the SENCo. These meetings may indicate further support for some pupils.

Occasionally pupils may need further assessment of their needs or we may need to seek advice from an outside agency. Agencies that work closely to support children within the school include the Speech and Language Therapist and the Educational Psychologist. They can provide strategies that will help us to support your child within school. A referral will be completed with your support and consent, and forwarded to the most appropriate agency.

Staff access relevant training as part of their professional development to support children’s needs.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?
  • All learning activities within class are planned and differentiated at an appropriate level, so that all children are able to access learning according to their specific needs.
  • · The class teacher, alongside the SENCo will discuss a child’s needs and what support will be appropriate.
  • · Children with SEND will have access to the appropriate resources needed in order to help them to make progress e.g. phonic mats, coloured overlays, Numicon.
  • · The SENCo reports to the Head teacher and Governors regularly to inform them about the progress of children with SEND and how resources are being used. Information provided will never name individual children in order to maintain confidentiality at all times.
  • · The governor responsible for SEND also meets regularly with the SENCo. They report on their visit to the governors to keep them all informed with school or LA (Local Authority) information.
  • · The governors agree priorities for spending within the budget, including the Pupil Premium, with the overall aim that all children receive the support that they need in order to make progress. This will include resourcing appropriate equipment and facilities.
How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

Class teachers continuously monitor the progress of all children in their class through a range of informal and formal assessments. On a half termly basis Class Teachers meet with the Head Teacher to discuss progress made by all children in the school. Parents with children who are identified as having a Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND) meet with their child’s Class Teacher at least twice per academic year to discuss their progress in line with school targets and expectations. The school records and monitors any 1:1 or group intervention on a whole school Provision Map and this is reviewed and updated at least once per term.

  • · You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at termly meetings with their class teacher.
  • · If you cannot attend a meeting in school with the teacher during the term, they will contact you by telephone to discuss how your child is doing.
  • · Your child’s class teacher will be available to speak to you after school. Please make an appointment.
  • · Your teacher may ask for additional meetings with you, or may contact you by telephone.
  •  · Appointments can be made to speak to the SENCo (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) Mrs Byrne by ringing school on 01234 771313.· If your child has an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) you will be invited into school to review the plan at least once a year. Your child may be invited to the meeting too.  The meeting will give us the opportunity to set new targets together, and discuss how we can support each other to meet the needs of your child.
What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

At Wilden VA Primary School we recognise that some children have additional emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. Through Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) lessons we support children in understanding their own emotions and feelings. Our whole school Values also help children to recognise their own and others’ feelings. Throughout the school day there are many opportunities for children to develop their social skills, both during lesson times and at playtimes. For children with specific emotional and social difficulties an IEP may be required in order to help address specific areas of need. This will be written by the Class Teacher and /or SENDCo and shared with parents.

What specialist services and expertise are avaliable at or accessed by the setting/school/college?

We work with outside agencies for both staff training and pupil support, including:

• Speech and language therapist

• Early Help

• Educational psychologist

• Behaviour support advisors

• School Family Support Worker

• Play therapists

• Attendance Welfare Officer


What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?

Our SENDCo is due to undertake the National Accreditation and is in the meantime being supported by an experience SENDCo. All school teaching and support staff participate in regular CPD training throughout the school year. As appropriate the school will involve external agencies, for example Educational Psychologists Speech and Language Therapists to support staff and children on specific occasions.

How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

At Wilden we make reasonable adjustments to ensure that ALL children are included in all activities both inside and outside of the classroom.

A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health & safety will not be compromised. In the very unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities that will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided within the school environment, wherever possible

In the spring term all the children attend weekly swimming sessions and extra staff have been put in place to support pupils with medical and self-care needs. Parents can be invited to attend most trips, and their advice is sought on best ways to support their child on school trips e.g. with feeding, travelling, crossing roads etc. Forest School activities are carefully planned to ensure all activities are inclusive. All of the pupils at Wilden are eligible to sign up for after school clubs.

How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?

All children joining our Reception Class are offered a home visit from our Early Years team during the term before they start school. Our Early Years team also visit children in their Preschool settings prior to them starting school. We liaise closely with Preschool staff to ensure that there is a smooth transition between the two settings. If your child has an Education and Health Care Plan (EHPC) or a Statement of Educational Needs, parents will be consulted and encouraged to discuss their wishes regarding the next stage of their child’s education.

If your child is moving to another school or leaving Year 6 we will ensure

  • · We send all relevant paperwork to the new school Arrange time to visit their new school and meet their teacher/ teacher assistant
  • · Additional visits will be arranged for your child if they need extra time in their new school
  • · Meet with parents/carers discuss and support with the transition Assistant Head/Inclusion Manager, will liaise with the SENCo/Inclusion Manager from the new/secondary school to pass on additional information about your child
  • · If you child has more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with the SENDCo or the Head Teacher, the parents/carers and if appropriate your child
How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

Pupil progress meetings form the basis of how the school’s resources are allocated to meet the needs of the children, and any allocation is reviewed regularly to assess the impact on the children’s progress and wellbeing.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

Each pupil’s needs are examined on an individual basis e.g. through Progress Meetings

Initial support is through specific strategies carried out by the class teachers. We use regular observations, assessments and discussions in relation to the child’s needs and match to the resources that we have access to.

Intervention groups have entry and exit criteria based on more than one criteria and are flexible. One pupil may need additional support throughout the year/term/school, other pupils may only need it for a short time.

For pupils with Education Health Care Plans (EHCP), the type of support needed will be detailed on their plan. This is discussed at an annual review meeting with parents and professionals.

For a minority of cases, we may request that an assessment for an EHCP be made by the Local Authority. This is where pupils have received high quality teaching and ongoing additional support that has been reviewed and monitored and adapted, yet they continue to make less than expected progress.

How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?

Parents are invited to come into the school and read with children, attend workshops, assemblies and parent mornings, PTA events or support school trips.

Our Parent Support Adviser (Donna Gower) organises parent workshops and discussion groups on a range of specific topics which all parents are invited to.