Skip to main content

Support for Care Leavers with a Council Tenancy

Your Personal Advisor will support you to ensure your tenancy is set up properly. This will include helping you to register with utility companies for electricity, gas and water so that you can pay your bills, ensuring housing benefit is in place (if you are claiming this) and changing addresses with relevant organisations such as your doctor or dentist or registering with new ones if necessary.

Your leaving care grant can be used to purchase furniture and goods such as a washing machine and fridge/freezer for your home. There are also a number of projects available who offer support buying second-hand furniture which your Personal Adviser can put you in touch with. Your Personal Advisor or Social Worker will make sure you have the right support to move your belongings to your new home.

Your personal advisor or social worker will visit you within the first few days of moving. After this they will visit at least every eight weeks, or more if you need. You can contact your Personal Adviser or Social Worker at any time if you need support. If your call is urgent and you need support immediately but the office is closed then you can call the Emergency Duty Team on telephone number 0300 300 8123 

Browse by subject