Skip to main content

Support for young people with SEND in Higher Education

Support for young people with SEND in Higher Education

If you are a student with special educational needs or a disability (SEND) applying to enrol on a course in Higher Education, it’s important to make sure that you’ve applied for the correct funding. It's also crucial to ensure that your education provider know what you need in order to fully support your education.

There are many on-campus support services available to disabled students. Most universities, institutions and colleges have disability co-ordinators and advisors that are on hand to help. If you have SEND or a mental health condition that may hinder your academic ability, you should contact your education provider to find out what support is available to you as early as possible – even before sending your application.

There is some funding support from the government to help disabled young people in education. Please see below for more information.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are grants that help to pay support that a student may need at Higher Education as a direct result of a disability, on-going health condition, sensory impairment, mental health condition or specific learning difficulties.

Please click here to find out more about how to apply for DSAs, what you will get and how DSAs are paid.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

You can no longer apply for a Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if you are 16 or over. This service has been replaced by the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – see below.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

You will be able to receive help with some extra costs if you suffer from a physical and/or mental disability or a long-term medical issue. The amount you receive will depend on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself. After an assessment, a professional will work out the level of help you require, and the amount you receive will be regularly monitored to make sure you’re getting the correct support.

Please click here to find out more about eligibility criteria or to apply for PIP, how to claim and what you will get.